Friday, January 1, 2010

Ooppsss! I did it again....


So have you ever thought someone was pregnant and them totally turn out not to be? Well, one thing I have learned over the years (sometimes the hard way) is to NEVER ask a woman if she is pregnant. It could turn into a social disaster. For one thing, it can be very embarrassing for both you and the other lady. IT will make you look like a moron and feel like one too. I know because I have been both the moron (haha) and the victim in this type of situation. When I first got married in 2005, the ever so popular trend of tunic shirts and peasants-girl skirts were the latest fashion craze. Well, I was styling in my cute lil' outfit and this sweet lady came up to me in the store and said to me very politely "You know I wish I was as cute as you when I was pregnant"....I kind of stared at her in horror, I was completely dumbfounded! I mean, really? I was so speechless because she was giving me a really sweet compliment and stripping me of all self-confidence all at the very same time. LOL! I totally blame the outfit on this one! I always avoid those flowy tunic shirts now ;) Looking back on it now I can laugh but at the time, it really hurt my feelings. However, even though I know how this feels, I have unfortunately stuck my foot in my mouth on similar situations and both times when I thought the person was pregnant I was wrong. The first person I probably really offended, when it happened and I learned a huge lesson. The second and most recent time this happened, the person never really knew I had mistaken her to be preggers! (Thank GOD!) My advice is to keep your trap shut and don't assume someone is pregnant. You have to be careful with this especially in some cases more than others even. For instance,if a woman has just lost her baby asking them a question like that could be a simple honest mistake, but could do more damage other than to her self-esteem. It usually will come up in conversation if they are and if they want you to know personally, they will tell you!

Hope Everyone Has A Wonderful New Year!
Keepin it Classy in 2010 ;)

8 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great points! I was asked twice by two different people if I was pregnant after we first got married. Not nice!

Kathryn said...

Yeah definitely! What would you like on it? I am on facebook, if you want to send me a message or something I can make you one right now.

Anonymous said...

This should just go for anything. No one needs to be reminded that they are bald, skinney, whatever. People do have mirrors and don't need to be reminded of there physical appearance by everyone they come in contact with!

Kathryn said...

You have been chosen for an award! :)
http://singing-in-the-rain24.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-award.html

Kathryn said...

Hey, thanks for commenting! Thanks for the advice, I think if I do try cloth diapers I will definitely have some regular ones as well. It doesn't hurt to use both! Yeah, I am kind of dreading the washing, but I guess we'll see how it goes!

Beth Crandell said...

Well it turns out the lady that inspired this post was actually 5 months preggers and didn't know it!! That's crazy stuff right there.

said...

I was on the receiving end of that scenario one time many many years ago and when I think about it, it feels like yesterday! Argh.

p.s. Welcome to the SITS community - we're very glad that you joined us!

Ann On and On... said...

I'm with you...I avoid all cute flowing pieces, but they are sooooo comfy!

Welcome to SITS!

Hey, I'm hosting a little giveaway....Hint, there is chocolate involved. :D Come on over!

Post a Comment